Tuesday 19 January 2010

un amico.

In all my years as a member of fandom (in Lost and Runaways more than anything) I guess I never understood fanmixes. I tried one once, and let me say that it was an odd mix - I tried to tie in Some Girls' "Gonna Set My Soul On Fire" with the end of Runaways' first run, a weird reaction to a fan letter thinking that Nickelback was appropriate music for my favourite comic ever. Psshhaw.

Some Girls - Gonna Set My Soul On Fire

Anyway, I have found myself back on Livejournal for the first time in forever, seeing as I spent my Friday evening in bed reading Inglourious Basterds fanfiction. (Yes, I am aware I'm pretty chuffing sad saying that.) Then I found a pairing I liked reading about: the characters of Shosanna and Fredrick (yes, I repeat, I'm sad) that Quentin Tarantino has admitted that any other time in history, they could have fallen in love. So, fic after fic later and I ended up at... Shosanna/Fredrick fanmixes!

There's a couple of mixes that have really been doing it for me that I'm going to link you to - first of all, there's the Innocent Hearts mix by LJ user butchiemcgee, which uses music from Ingrid Michaelson, the Psychadelic Furs, Grace Jones and Ennio Morriconne, making a pretty fun selection of songs that could easily be your new-wave playlist for the time being. More deets HERE.

Then there's Truth in the Bleeding, a mix by LJ user piecesofalice, using music from The Pretenders, Elvis Costello, Die Artze and Andrew Bird, amongst others. It's been pretty much all I've been able to listen to over the weekend - that Andrew Bird song on the mix is gorgeous (20 plays in four days, which is saying a lot for me). Deets can be found HERE. Kudos to the two of 'em. Fandom rules!

download Innocent Hearts
download Truth in the Bleeding

PS. Yeah, I saw Basterds again recently and it grew on me something fierce. Image was found here at CHUD - is awesome.

No comments: