Saturday 21 March 2009

ouchhh.


So, a few updates before I go cook for me and my lady. (It's haddock, if you're wondering.)

The big thing on my mind is that Hip Hop Connection, the longest running (and BEST) hip-hop magazine in the world is apparantly closing up after twenty years on the market. Reliable UKHH source Disorda of Suspect Packages broke the news on Thursday, which only goes to show you just how out of the loop I am (big up to Certified Banger for posting the link, btw):

"Gotta tip our caps to Hip Hop Connection magazine today, it looks like the news has finally leaked out that they will no longer be in print. Sadly another slice of Hip-Hop has been taken from us, they fully repped the culture for 20 years and for me personally who remembers buying the very first issue it's a sad loss. Big ups to the Andy Cowan and the whole team past and present for keeping it on the shelves for so long when others failed. The good news is that they will still live on in other forms: from April 7th it will become the world's first dedicated digital Hip-Hop magazine, available for download from www.hhcdigital.net..."

Waiting for an official reply from the magazine's editors themselves. I know people aren't buying magazines anymore (I've had to cut down from five a month to two at most, including not being able to cop HHC, sadly) and things are more accessible on the net, but it's never really gonna be the same. I remember buying my first issue back in the Ministry of Sound era, barely remember who was on the cover but it was written up as the 100 best singles of all time. I just went through the attic and can't find the damn issue, which sure is annoying... but I'll always remember number one. And for the guys at HHC, who gave us this awesome print medium that FULLY REPPED HIP HOP MUSIC IN BRITAIN AND BEYOND (never forget that!), I'm posting their number one single from back in the day...


Le sigh. On a slightly cheerier note (but only slightly), I had My Bloody Valentine's "When You Sleep" stuck in my head all day at work. The most annoying thing about MBV is that you can't really singalong to their stuff, even when you know how damn catchy it is. Aaaagh! The second most annoying thing is trying to understand when the fucking vinyl remasters of Loveless and Isn't Anything (not to say anything of the oft-rumoured Japan-only box set)? This band confuses me.

Anyway, here's an awesome bootleg video of the band playing "When You Sleep" in London waaay back when I was two, maybe three years old.

And finally, Goodlife, the Glasgow streetwear/expensive shit boutique, dropped special Daft Punk Bearbricks today, announcing to their mailing list at ten past three today that they were available. Hilariously, by the time I got off work at five, they'd already sold out. Guess I can put away any hopes of selling my DPBBs later in life to put my kids through uni, then.
Friday's show should be online at the Air3 website. If it ain't yet, engage in peaceful protest.

No comments: