Tuesday 14 April 2009

clearance day (possible part one of two even though I don't want to promise anything)

So last week I cleared some random music off my computer that I thought was awesome. This week I'm just throwing up some of the random mp3s on my university hard drive. Begin:

Rick Ross - Maybach Music, Pt 2 (feat. Kanye West, Lil' Wayne & T-Pain)
If you've not heard this yet, fast-forward to 3:23 and let your jaw drop. To quote Lil Wayne: "All black Maybach, I'm sitting in the asshole". IN THE ASSHOLE. How this hasn't ended up on long-running FLFD obsession Snacks and Shit yet is inexcusable.

Liger - Smapples
"Smapples" reminds me of a song I wrote when I was 12. It was called "Prizes and Presents", was nothing more than me spazzing out on my friend's drumkit yelling "PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES AND PRESENTS" and it sounds like the first twenty-five seconds of this song. Minus the other instruments, of course. It's probably dumb to say that if you like Xiu Xiu you'll like these guys, but hey, if you like Xiu Xiu give this a try. Not really my thing, to be honest. Liger do not sit in the asshole.

Cryptonites - Hands of God
Working in a library, I kill time by flicking through the odd book here and there (despite never getting to read them, grumble grumble), which led me to the comic book collection DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. Now, I dig Watchmen and everything, so I had a flick through the death-of-Superman tale (oh yeah, spoiler) "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" I hate to say that I couldn't get into the tone... the bad guys in Supe's universe were all a bit too comical-seeming to do trademark Moore things like erratically murder people. Anyway, this is a detour. It took me this song's entire length to type that out and get the links above sorted, which is probably bad. Or good. Or something. Anyway, this does the job, to say the least. Dancey dance stuff. Cryptonites are lounging - not in the asshole but quite possibly close to it.

The Shanghai Restoration Project - Babylon of the Orient
I usually don't subscribe to the theory of "guilty pleasures" (iPod on shuffle: Clipse, Utada Hikaru, Paul Wall's "Internet Goin' Nutz") but I think that The Shanghai Restoration Project definitely count by allowing "Babylon of the Orient" to start with a bamboo flute over a synth line out of a Runners beat. The lyrics are pretty much as follows: "Let me holla at youuuu. C'mon and holla back. Na na na na na na na na naaahhh." And let's not forget that the song is called "Babylon of the Orient". Now, I wouldn't argue that this is good per se, but I've just listened to it three times in a row. Na na na na na na na na naaahhh: not sitting in the asshole.

Andrew W.K. - Big Party
Now, I'm lucky I found this - "Big Party" sounds like Paisley Park-era Prince on his fifth Blue Ribbon and is, wouldn't you believe it, awesome. This is a good time to bring up that AWK has announced plans on his blog to finally release his off-the-wall career turnaround Close Calls With Brick Walls in Europe through his record label Skyscraper Music Maker. "Big Party" was a bonus track at some point for the Japan/Korea-only release, so it'll be sweet to hold all twenty-fucking-seven songs previously released. If he brings out vinyl that looks like this I'll be happy, but if he seriously decides to change the oddly terrifying cover sleeve I'll be gutted. I hope "Party Party Party" is on this release. Despite his last album being a collection of covers of Japanese rock songs, Andrew W.K. has not -as you may think - disappeared up his own asshole.
BONUS DOWNLOAD: Andrew W.K. - Party Party Party

Well then. On second thought, is "all black Maybach, I'm sitting in the asshole" really that much more ridiculous than:

Think about it. Consider this music folder (half) emptied.

No comments: