Tuesday 7 April 2009

Right guys, no FLFD this week - we'll be back next week with some of that good stuff. Also, a 24 hour broadcast from Air3 next week that I really have to go do some practising for! Until then, some music that I've been digging - some of which was salvaged from my old PC, which is/was the slowest computer in the world. Yeesh, wasn't used to going back to that thing after so long in smoothness. Ah, this comfortable speed!

Kid Cudi feat. Kanye West, Common & DJ A-Trak "I Poke Her Face"
This is just filthy. Filthy, filthy, filthy sex raps that just work so well with that kind of super-chill beat that Kanyeezy doesn't pull out often enough for his own solo material - plus, a Lady Gaga sample that DOESN'T SOUND LIKE ASS. Common wins man of the match honours on this joint, which is amazing seeing how he always steals tracks and I can't ever get into his own solo stuff. More like this, please.
download

Fox Gut Daata "On My Mind"
The ever-glitchy Fox Gut hit me up with some new songs this week, including this new banger. He also hit me up with the next track...
download

Gajah "Harry Shoeman (Fox Gut Daata RMX)"
I hadn't heard the original until five minutes ago, but damn if Fox doesn't go totally in the different direction from it. Nice job, dude.
download

Stux "Phone Song"
My friend Carl may just kill me for this - he recorded a bunch of demos under the name of Stux (Reuben reference, if you didn't guess) when he was 18 years old and this was always my favourite of his. We never got round to fleshing out this song, but I'm definitely going to put it forward as an idea to cover in a band I'm joining. So obscure only I know about it! And now you guys. :D
download

Apologies, I Have None "Deconstructing Jim's Shoulder"
If you've been listening to FLFD lately, you'll notice I've been playing the shit out of these guys, who I only just got into after they'd come up to Glasgow for some shows. (Typical me, really.) If you like that nice mix of acoustically-minded punk rock that's big with folk at the moments (I loathe to say Against Me! but, hey, Against Me! fans) then you'll likely dig these guys. This track is from their 2007 demo "Done", which is available HERE and is totally worth it. There's a newie by the name of "100 Club" up at their myspace but I can't afford to get the new EP yet, so I'm sticking with the free stuff for now...
download

The Hunting Party "Hold Your Breath and Cross Your Fingers"
Back when Myspace used to allow you to download songs, I used to go on binges just finding random bands' mp3s for... well, archiving purposes, maybe? Anyhoo, I found this kicking about the other day and was this close to deleting it when I heard the riff to "Hold Your Breath...". Kinda glammy, kinda rockabilly, kinda cool. The Hunting Party's website and myspace haven't been updated for a long, long time so this is kinda obscure. Internet obscure, yes, but pshaww.
download

After School Knife Party "Dear Daddy"
And finally... this is my friend Lauren's old band. Those pipes!
download

More randomstuff later on this week. Yessur.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Alright, home dog, I got a blogspot too now :-) The blogs will be more serious diatribes than my lj.

I'll be doing my show tomorrow for the lols, so yeah check that out when I upload it

stuxmusic said...

Yes, yes I may just...