Tuesday 25 August 2009

"this is merely superconductor electromagnetism"

As I sat down tonight to have a late dinner, I noticed that one of my favourite films of all time was on: Street Fighter! Fucking Street Fighter! With Jean Claude Van-Damme! JCVD! As a film, it's inept on pretty much every level - the acting is balls-to-the-wall bad, the script is as clunky as a broken dishwasher, the mise en scene is ugly and the editing does whatever it can to destroy any excitement you may get while watching the fight scenes.

BUT as a piece of entertainment, it's pretty much second to none: JCVD playing the US born-n-bred all American hero with THAT ACCENT, the invisible speedboat sequence (predating 007's ridiculous invisible vehicular shenanigans by seven years), Kylie Minogue's "acting breakthrough" (snicker), Dhalsim's unintentionally hilarious shirtlessness in the last ten minutes, the ridiculous action, the constant failed attempts at comic relief, and this immortal exchange: "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday."

In fact, the only reason I'm going to go see Avatar in December is because the dude that plays Sagat is in it. Just when I thought my life couldn't get any better by stumbling on this unintended masterpiece, I found THIS:


Just... incredible. Incredible.

No comments: